Google Translation

Friday, January 8, 2010

Dim Sum Go Go -- Chinatown



I probably have Dim Sum a handful of times a year in New York.
In the past, I always went to the traditional Dim Sum place like Golden Unicorn and Jing Feng in Chinatown.  They were loud, crowd, and frankly quite stressful.


Couple weeks ago, I tried Dim Sum Go Go.
This is how Dim Sum is served in Taiwan in the recent years.
There are no pushing carts with steaming food.  Dim Sums are made to order in the kitchen.


Roast Pork Pie (top left) -- My favorite dim sum dish. This one is far superior than ones I tried at all other dim sum places in Chinatown.The pork had perfect balance of savory & sweet taste covered by the flaky pastry with black sesame sprinkled on top. YUM....
Turnip Cake (top right)-- A Dim Sum meal is not completed without classic turnip cake.
It's a safe and familiar flavor from childhood. 
Shrimp & mango rolls (bottom)-- Never seen this dish on other dim sum place's menu. It sounded better than it tasted though.


Shrimp Dumplings (top) -- One of H's favorite.
Chives & Shrimp Dumplings (bottom right) -- I think I liked it, but I honestly can't remember.
Shiu Mai (bottom left) -- Another signature dim sum dish.


Snow Pea Leaf Dumplings (top right) -- It is forgettable.
Chicken Feet with black bean sauce (top right) -- I had better ones at Jing Feng.
Jade Dumplings (bottom) -- Forgot how it tasted, but it was pretty to look at. :)


Sesame Balls -- Dessert!


Overall, Dim Sum Go Go has some interesting dishes although I would not necessary say the food was better cross the board.
It depends on what you are in the mood for:
If you like the hustling and bustling, go to the traditional dim sum places.
If you want to have a relaxing conversation without too much distraction, Dim Sum Go Go is the place for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment