Interesting fact about Iceland:
- Iceland lies just south of the Arctic Circle. Winter nights and summer days are long. On December 21 in the capital, the sun rises at 11:30 a.m. and sets at 3:30 p.m. On June 21 the sun sets about midnight and rises at 3:00 a.m. It never gets darker than twilight at night during the late spring and early summer.
- Many Icelanders believe in elves. Certain roads have been re-routed to avoid disturbing areas where elves are thought to live.
- More than 13% of Iceland is covered by snowfields and glaciers.
- Iceland’s main industry is fishing.
- Iceland has twice as many sheep as people
- Icelanders value literacy and hold the world record for number of books per capita.
- An international study done in 2006 ranked Iceland as the “Fourth Happiest Nation” in the world.