Google Translation

Monday, February 13, 2012

Winter in Gastein, Austria - What to eat




* Jause         * Glühwein        *Salzburger Nockerl         *Bosna         *Mozartkugel


Traditional Austrian cuisine has a lot of meat and little vegetables.  It is not a vegetarian friendly diet, but it is surely delicious!  Here are some of my favorites: 


1. Jause



Jause (pronounced as "yause") means snack in English. It usually includes various type of cold cuts, cheeses & spreads, and bread.  As far as I know, Austrians LOVE their jause.  They can eat jause for lunch, snack, and dinner everyday. I am not exaggerating.  This is what H grew up eating and still eats it every day when he goes home. 


2. Glühwein



Gluhwein is mulled wine that can be found during the holiday season in bars or outdoor holiday markets. I order them every chance I get.  It always put me in a festive mood sipping the hot spiced wine at the cold outdoor market. 


3. Salzburger Nockerl




Salzburger Nockerl is a specialty  in the Salzburg region, and you do not find them in many places.  Not a lot of chefs know how to make this dessert.  It is warm and fluffy with a creamy texture inside.  If you come to Bad Gastein, make sure to stop by Hotel Europaeischer Hof and order one freshly made. 


4. Bosna in Salzburg


You rarely find spicy Austrian food.  Bosna is one exception. They are the equivalence of American hot dogs, only much much better.  They are usually two bratwrst sausages, onions, and curry powder, wrapped in toasted bread.  The best bosna stand is tugged away in one of Salzburg's old town shopping streets, and I always get one when I am there. Unfortunately this time when I visited on January 1, the stand was closed for the holiday.


5. Original Salzburger Mozartkugel


Every tourist coming to Austria is bombarded with those red Mozart chocolate balls in every souvenir store. They make great gifts to bring back home, but I never liked them.  I found them way too sweet for my taste. Last year, a colleague mentioned the original blue mozart balls she had in Sazlburg.  It titillated my curiosity.  When I passed by Cafe Konditorei Fürst this time, I knew that I found the original Sazlburg Mozartkugal and I had to try it.  The verdict?  I must say that I like the blue Mozartkugel much better than the red ones!  The blue Mozartkugel is still hand made with the original recipe invented by Paul Fürst in 1890.  The chocolate filling was creamy and thgreen pistachio marzipan in the center was aromatic but not as sweet. There are only three shops in Salzburg, and you should definitely try the real deal when you come here!


PHOTO ALBUM



Next: Winter in Gastein, Austria -- Planning your trip




No comments:

Post a Comment